Work Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours per week, hourly with some weekends/evenings
Reports to: Business Development & Grants Manager
The Volunteer & Humane Education Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating Valley Animal Center’s Community Outreach and Humane Education Programs by networking and ultimately improving the organization’s presence in the community. The Volunteer & Humane Education Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting volunteers, training volunteers, and coordinating the staffing of volunteers at all applicable events. The Volunteer & Humane Education Coordinator will work with the volunteers to expand and support the volunteer committees. For the Humane Education program, this will include expanding the number of students, schools, and districts reached through our Humane Education Program, implementing camps, and other family-friendly events on- and off-site, and developing and updating humane education lesson plans with Character Counts Curriculum. The Volunteer & Humane Education Coordinator will also expand and support the other volunteer committees, in Dog Training and Enrichment, Fostering, Distribution, and Community Outreach. The ideal candidate will also assist the Community Relations Coordinator through a variety of assignments, including marketing efforts to promote the organization, researching new outreach, enrichment, and education opportunities, providing training and technical assistance to volunteers and staff, updating the website and social media sites, graphic design, and planning, scheduling, and events.
Responsibilities and Duties
Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned as appropriate.)
- Proactively support Valley Animal Center in a full range of outreach and communication activities.
- Work to develop, plan, and expand the outreach program in local community.
- Work with the Outreach Committee to schedule volunteers for outreach events as needed.
- Supervise volunteers for all events.
- Coordinate outreach materials for all events.
- Produce marketing materials for the Valley Animal Center.
- Lead volunteer recruitment and training.
- Update the Valley Animal Center website and social media outlets as needed.
- Manage the department’s constituent email and mailing lists, and volunteer software.
- Research new initiatives’ to update Valley Animal Center programs ie: informational videos, promotions, enrichment, and education.
- Network with school districts to expand the Humane Education Program to reach more schools, teachers, and students.
- Expand the Dog Training and Enrichment Program in an effort to improve the lives of the pets in our care and increase Valley Animal Center’s grant eligibility.
- Lead the volunteers in a variety of fundraising activities to raise additional money for the shelter and its programs.
- Assist the Community Relations Coordinator with scheduling, planning, and implementing marketing campaigns, special events, etc.
- Develop and expand lesson plans and curriculum for the Humane Education Program classes and camps.
- Assist the Community Relations Coordinator in producing the printed Valley Animal Voice Newsletter, the E-Newsletter, and a variety of other media pieces as needed in partnership with the Community Relations Coordinator
- Monthly report tracking outcomes for volunteers and humane education
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Liberal Studies, Business, Communications, or Mass Communication and Journalism
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an professional setting required
- Animal care experience and knowledge
- Excellent communication skillsare required for this position
- Computer literate to include familiarity with Microsoft Office and graphic design programs, including Adobe Photoshop and Adobe In-Design
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with VAC staff, board members, volunteers, community groups, school district officials, and other related agencies
- Diplomatic, tactful, creative, discreet, flexible, resourceful, dependable, well-organized, friendly, and professional
- Skilled project manager who can identify needs, scope projects, implement strategy and juggle lots of moving pieces to see something through
- Strong public speaking, writing and interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate a wide variety of people; intuitive, empathic communicator who can quickly build rapport, trust, and credibility
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage many tasks simultaneously without sacrificing thoroughness and detail
- Customer service orientation with superior relationship-building skills
- Quick learner and hard worker with the ability to thrive under pressure and deadlines with minimal oversight
- Bilingual (spoken and written) preferred
Job Type: Full-time
- animal care: 2 years
- humane education & outreach: 4 years
Required license or certification:
- Driver's License